**Brief History Of How This Problem Happened**
I had a friend who had their funds stuck in Tronwatch so he asked me to help. I was able to get them out for him. I noticed several other people were having issues… hence, this write up.
Tronwatch on earlier versions used a different algorithm for their private keys. Tron (to my knowledge) has never set a standard as which process should be used. Therefore, each wallet creator was left up to their own to come up with a design/plan. Tronwatch used a format that was not compatible with most other wallets. This wasn’t done intentionally by the developer, it’s just an unfortunate choice the devs made. Therefore, you might find that [tronscan.org](https://tronscan.org) will not allow you to log in with your private key as they don’t support the longer format. The good news, your funds are still safe so long as you have some information.
**Cautions…**Some people may not like this solution as you have to import your key into a site – however, this is very brief and I think the risk is minimal. However, I do want to mention people might hate on these steps, but if you do all the steps below, you should be fine. Also – I’m just trying to help out here. I take no responsibility if you mess up – please read – double read – triple read everything you’re doing here, especially if you’re dealing with large amounts of Tron. I had to move almost 700,000 trx for a friend last night, so I made sure to do everything slowly.
**Stuff You Need**
1. TronWatch Desktop wallet installed ([https://github.com/TronWatch/Desktop-Wallet/releases/download/Beta-v1.0.13/TronWatch.Windows.Setup.1.0.13.exe](https://github.com/TronWatch/Desktop-Wallet/releases/download/Beta-v1.0.13/TronWatch.Windows.Setup.1.0.13.exe))
2) Chrome installed (if you have it installed, cool, if you don’t use it either install it or install a portable version – [https://www.google.com/chrome/](https://www.google.com/chrome/) )
3) Another wallet that supports Tron (I really like exodus – they actively develop the wallet so your funds are not going to get stuck in this wallet. [https://www.exodus.io/download/](https://www.exodus.io/download/) ) But any wallet you want will be fine (tron ledger, atomic wallet, etc. If you use exodus like I did, you won’t be able to vote for a SR as that wallet doesn’t support it. But my goal was to get the TRX safe – I’ll worry about voting later.
4) You will need either your 24 tronwatch mnemonic seed, or your private key tronwatch generated for you.
**Let’s Get Started**
1. If you ONLY have your 24 words, Install/Open TronWatch. If you already have your private key, skip to step 4. If you already have your wallet loaded in TronWatch – skip to the restore step. If you do not – restore your wallet by entering in your 24 words. You need to get your private key as the 24 words will not work on step 4. So don’t skip this step to get your private key.
2) Once your wallet is loaded, select your wallet, then click on the three ellipsis on the top right and select backup wallet.
3) The part you care about is your private key. Copy and paste that into notepad to save.
4) If you already had your private key… Start here… Open up Google Chrome – install the tronlink extension ( [https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/tronlink?hl=en](https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/tronlink?hl=en) ) Set up tronlink (it will ask you for a password, etc. None of this matters – just make sure you remember your password.) Once you have TronLink setup, click on the folder icon on the top left – then choose RESTORE ACCOUNT.
5) For “account name” just type in something. It doesn’t matter, then hit continue. Then click on PRIVATE KEY. Enter in your private key from TronWatch in here. This should give you access to your TRX. You can unfreeze it and move it to another wallet (like exodus) or where ever you want. Don’t forget to move your tokens out too! (like SEED, BTT, etc.) You can send all your tokens to your new TRX address even if your wallet doesn’t support showing you them. You can always verify they tokens are attached to your account on the TRX explorer. [https://tronscan.org/#/](https://tronscan.org/#/)
6) Install Exodus. Set it up and enable the TRX wallet. Click on RECEIVE to get your TRX wallet address in Exodus. From your tronlink extension – click on SEND and send your TRX to your new wallet.
If you only had your 24 word seed and NOT your private key… and when you generated your private key again in TronWatch it did NOT generate the long key you were expecting… try installing the old version of TronWatch and try again. The developer changed how it generated keys on later versions: [https://github.com/TronWatch/Desktop-Wallet/releases/tag/Beta-v1.0.11](https://github.com/TronWatch/Desktop-Wallet/releases/tag/Beta-v1.0.11)
If I helped, or you liked this write up feel free to donate 🙂 But by no means feel obligated. Just glad to help people get access to their TRX again.
If you have any questions feel free to ask. Maybe a mod can pin this for a while?